Entering Canada from USA with a DUI

0 Comment| 12:09 pm

The Canadian Government takes most alcohol and drug related offences extremely serious. Therefore,
DUIs may make it hard for you to enter Canada. Anyone, with a DUI on their record is criminally inadmissible to enter Canada. Entry may be denied at the border despite having the right documentation. You may not even intend to drive once you enter Canada, but the
DUI on your record may make your entry into Canada difficult.

Having a DUI on your record, may make things complicated, and you may be required to apply for special permission to enter Canada. There are two possible solutions for you if you are in a similar situation:

  • The temporary solution will be to apply for a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP). This may be done on the border itself, but if you are aware of your criminality applying in advance is recommended. An important thing to note is that you need a valid reason to visit. Simply for leisure is not a recommended reason for visit. Although, business and family may be seen as valid reasons.
  • The more permanent solution would be to get Criminal rehabilitation. This is essentially a petition given to the Canadian Immigration authorities asking for forgiveness. In order to be eligible to apply for Criminal Rehab for a DUI, at least 5 years must have been passed since the completion of your sentence. Criminal rehab is more of a permanent solution, as it gives the person a fresh start. Unlike, a TRP which has a time restriction.
  • Lastly, you may be deemed rehabilitated, if there is enough time passed since you completed your sentence for the DUI. 10 years is usually the required time for you to be deemed rehabilitated.

If you have any questions about how to enter Canada with a DUI conviction or about TRPs. You can contact us, and our team of experienced professional will be happy to help you.

Leave a Reply