Temporary Resident Permit Questions and Answers

0 Comment| 8:54 am

Temporary-Resident-Permit-Questions-and-AnswersQuestions and Answers for Temporary Resident Permit

In this article, I will address questions and answers for a Temporary Resident Permit, as there are several different circumstances for inadmissibility, in order for you to further understand what a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) entails. A Temporary Resident Permit is intended for foreign nationals who wish to come to Canada but unfortunately have been deemed inadmissible. This is usually due to their criminal pasts. It was created to give foreign nationals an opportunity to be forgiven of their past criminal offences and proceed with entering Canada in the future with admissibility. If you feel as though you would be eligible to apply for a Temporary Resident Permit, I suggest you read our article on “How to Apply for a Temporary Resident Permit” before reading this question and answer article. This article is intended to clarify any misunderstanding or confusion with regards to a Temporary Resident Permit.

Q: Can TRPs be issued to anyone or are there exceptions?

A: TRPs cannot be issued to everyone as you must be deemed inadmissible to Canada in order to apply for a TRP. There are exceptions, for instance, an individual can be ineligible to apply for a TRP if less than a year has passed since their claim for a refugee claim was last rejected.

Q: Who makes the final decision for my TRP application?

A: The final decision for all TRP applications is made by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada, better known as IRCC. They will be the ones to forward any communication or final decision to you with regards to your application. They will make the final decision even in cases where the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) refers a recommendation, with the exception of police assist cases where the CBSA has the designated authority.

Q: Can my TRP be extended if my stay in Canada turns out to be longer than expected?

A: If your stay in Canada turns out to be longer than expected and you need to extend your Temporary Resident Permit, you may do so by applying to extend your TRP using the form “Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Visitor or Temporary Resident Permit Holder.” If your extension has been approved, you will receive an issuance of a new/subsequent TRP. Unfortunately, you would not be able to use the same TRP since the extension would issue a new TRP. However, it is very important to keep in mind that if you are already overseas and need to extend your current TRP, unfortunately you would not be able to do so and must apply for a new TRP before re-entering Canada.

Q: How long can a TRP be valid for?

TRPs are usually valid for the duration of the time period of which you are visiting Canada. For instance, should you need to visit Canada for a business trip that will last 2 weeks, then the TRP will usually be issued for the 2 weeks. However, in other circumstances, if your travels to Canada will be continuous, then a TRP can be issued for up to 3 years and no longer than that. Keep in mind, if you were to leave Canada before the expiration of the TRP, then the TRP will evidently no longer be valid and you will have to apply for a new TRP if you wish to re-enter Canada.

Q: Are there certain conditions that I have to take into consideration when getting an approved TRP?

A: Much like any other permit, there are specific conditions that you must abide by when issued a TRP. If you do not comply with the conditions that are obligated of you, then you may face more challenges in the future with regards to Immigration. When a TRP is issued, the TRP holder must consider the following conditions: they must leave Canada before the TRP expires and/or upon the cancellation of their TRP by an Immigration officer; they must apply for a subsequent TRP before their current TRP expires should they need to extend their stay in Canada; they must apply for and obtain a counterfoil to allow them to return to Canada if they are from a country that requires a visa or if they have authorization to re-enter Canada.

Q: What happens to my TRP if I cannot comply with the conditions?

A: Unfortunately, if a TRP holder does not comply with the conditions set before them by the IRPA or its Regulations, and their circumstances have changed, they may be subject to the cancellation of said TRP; issued an inadmissibility report; and/or issued a removal order. Therefore, considering the consequences of not abiding by the conditions, it is extremely vital for TRP holders to comply with these conditions in order to have the opportunity to travel to Canada in the future.

Contact Akrami & Associates

Should you have any further questions or feel confused or unclear about how to apply for a Temporary Resident Permit, it is important to talk about any questions you may have and discuss your concerns. By talking to immigration professionals about your concerns, this will ease your worries and assist with the application process. Many immigration applications are difficult to pursue on your own, if you are unfamiliar, and it is highly recommended that you seek out professional and experienced help before attempting to apply. Here, at Akrami & Associates, we work and have experience with many different immigration issues. We have helped many of our clients travel to Canada with inadmissibility issues and have evidently applied for a Temporary Resident Permit; they are now happily enjoying their visit in Canada and have been given the opportunity to enter Canada with inadmissibility. If you believe that you may be eligible for a Temporary Resident Permit, please feel free to contact Akrami & Associates at our office at 416-477-2545 for more information or if you would like to book a consultation with an immigration professional for more advice.

With Akrami & Associates, there is always a way!