Additional Offences and More Serious Offences

0 Comment| 11:48 am


What is Criminal Rehabilitation?

Criminal rehabilitation allows you to no longer be criminally inadmissible to Canada. There may be additional steps that must be followed if faced with this problem of being convicted with additional offences or more serious offences. You may need to attend an interview and a more detailed assessment of you will be required if you committed one of these offences:

  • Sexual assault
  • Multiple offences
  • Alcohol or other substance abuse
  • Weapons or explosives
  • Any other violence or kidnapping
  • Etc.

What Documentation Should I include?

  • Clearance records
  • A statement from you based on your crime
  • Identification documentation (for example: citizenship, birth proof, etc.)
  • The charge sheet (the document from your country which outlines your crime)

These are just the basic documentation that may be required but there can also be more documentation required. It would be best to consult with an immigration legal professional for the best advice.

If you committed two summary (known as misdemeanor in the U.S.) offences, then you will be deemed rehabilitated after 5 years and there is no need to apply for rehabilitation. Once you have been deemed rehabilitated, you should be able to get into Canada but there is always a chance that you will be denied. To prevent this, obtain a letter that states you are deemed rehabilitated. We always recommend applying for the TRP or Criminal Rehabilitation no matter what as your entry to Canada is never guaranteed.

Once you have completed your criminal rehabilitation you will no longer be criminally inadmissible for the crime you have committed. But at the port of entry you must show that you are remorseful for your actions. The officer reviewing your application will weigh the need vs the risk. If he feels that you are likely to commit an offence in Canada, then he will deny your application.

Contact Akrami & Associates

If you have been convicted of a crime and like to know how you can overcome your inadmissibility to Canada then contact us today and will be glad to assist you with your matter.